Friday, December 30, 2011

Halflings by Heather Burch

Thank you Netgalley.com and Zondervan publishers for allowing me to review an ARC copy of Halflings by Heather Burch.

ABOUT:
After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.
(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)


"For Halflings, to fall in love with a human is the unpardonable sin." ~ Mace

I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to read this book. I hope my review does it justice.

MY REVIEW:
Halflings is an amazing YA novel that absolutely had me parked in my kindle. It rocked my world!

Halflings had me enchanted from the beginning.  It was so well written and fast paced that I just could not put it down. I had it read in one sitting. Burch's writing style is lovely. Her descriptive scenes that were painted for me had me frantically reading and hungry for more!

The main character Nikki isn't the usual damsel in distress she's more kick-butt and more of a heroine. Her protectors that have just arrived are Halflings or half fallen angel + half human.  The Halflings Mace, Raven and Vine show up at the very beginning of the book when Nikki is fighting off hell hounds and they are sure to change her world forever.

Instantly Nikki and Mace are drawn to one another but "for Halflings to fall in love with a human is the unpardonable sin." I absolutely loved Nikki and Mace and the romantic tension between these two. Mace has never been tempted by a girl before, he's actually never been tempted at all so to watch their stolen moments together it was just wonderful!

Raven is the typical bad boy. He's cocky and so sure of himself but Nikki gets to him in a way no other human girl ever has. Did I mention their might be a love triangle? I know I know, I hate them too but this one works!

Heather Burch has created a novel that had me from the fast paced beginning to the nail biting ending. The characters and world she has created have me so hungry for more!  I am so excited to see where Heather Burch will take us in the next book. I am anxiously awaiting!

MY GRADE: A

Happy Reading Y'all!
Stephenie

2 comments:

I Heart YA Books said...

I love this one too! Can't wait till next book in this series! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephenie,

Thanks for posting a review for Halflings!

I wanted to invite you to The Halflings Network: a place where fans can talk about the book, chat with author Heather Burch, enter giveaways, and get updates on the next book in the series. We also have a free illustrated eBook prequel that I think you'd really enjoy. Feel free to check it out at Halflings.ning.com.

Thanks again for your great review, we really appreciate it!

Grant
Zondervan

Post a Comment

I love comments, they are as important to my blog as my own posts. Please just keep in mind to be kind, respectful and no spam!

Thanks again for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Wish Maker kit by Irene Alexeeva